1 1/4 cups rolled oats
1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup butter
1 tsp. soda
Grated rind of 1 lemon
1 1/2 cup finely chopped dates
1/4 cup brown sugar
enough water to cover dates
Juice of 1 lemon
- Mix first 6 ingredients as for pie, put half of mixture in the bottom of a 8 x 8 cake pan.
- Bring last 4 ingredients to a boil.
- Simmer until thick and of spreading consistency.
- Cool before spreading on cake.
- Put date filling on top of crumbs .
- Then put the remainder of mixture on top of the date filling.
- Bake @ 350F for 1/2 hour
- Cool, slice in squares and serve.